Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fried Green Tomato BLT


Allllll summer I had been craving two things:

1.  Tomato sandwiches/BLT sandwiches (I am calling that one because they are so similar)
2.  Fried green tomatoes.

Also, because you can't have a fried green tomato without thinking about the movie.  I have to say that movies fall into 3 categories for me.

1.  My faves.  Movies I have seen way too many times.  Movies I would start watching halfway in if it happened to be on T.V. and I missed the first part.  
2.  Movies that I watch once and either love or hate.  But either way, I am really only interested in watching them once.  
3.  Movies that I fall asleep to.  And can never finish.  Even after trying 3-5 times.  

Guess with category Fried Green Tomatoes falls in?!?  

1!

Want to know some of the 1. category movies?  Sister Act II.  Center Stage.  Little Rascals.  How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.  Yeah.  I don't have the best taste. 

Are you wondering what a 3. category movie is?  Harry Potter.  Lord of the Rings.  Spiderman?  Or what was the one series?  Superman?  Yikes.  I think you get the idea.  And you may hate me.  I'm sorry?

Anyways, let's just get back to the Fried Green Tomatoes.  The movie.  That is a pretty good one, I think.  And you cannot watch that movie and not want to eat a fried green tomato.  Or a candy bar.  Or human.  

Combine that with toasted bread, mayo, bacon, lettuce and a fresh red tomato.  It is awesome.  And it gives a little more substance to the BLT sandwich.  Don't get me wrong.  The BLT is basically perfect.  But, for the hearty men in the world, adding a little substance is always appreciated.  


Fried Green Tomato BLT

4 strips bacon
1 green tomato (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup flour
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup corn meal
2 slices of bread
1 tomato (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
2 leaves bibb lettuce
1 tablespoon mayo

Fry the bacon and set it aside retaining the grease in the pan.

Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper.

Place the flour into one bowl, the egg into another bowl and mix the flour and cornmeal in another bowl.

Dredge the green tomato slices in the flour, then dip them in the egg and finally dredge them in the corn meal mixture.

Fry the breaded tomato slices in the bacon grease (or oil) until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side.

Assemble sandwich.

(Servings: 1, Prep time: 5 min., Cook time: 25 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  6/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

3 comments:

  1. Can we please make these sandwiches and watch Center State together? I just adore that movie, and Ryan makes fun of me every time I ask to watch it (he has very pretentious movie taste) But truly...a delicious sandwich and a great movie. Thanks for sharing love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you well know "Fried Green Tomatoes" is my all time favorite movie!!!!! I also have been craving fried green tomatoes all summer and I have even had them 2 times this summer. I will definitely make this sandwich. I would have never even thought of putting them into a sandwich but I am also a lover of BLT's so this will probably be a favorite of mine. Thanks Shan!!! I Love You!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...this just looks too yummy...I read your posts and save your recipes...all of the time and I always forget to actually comment...but I am going to try to be better at that...I am dying for this sandwich and I doubt that I have ever had a fried green tomato in my lifetime!!!

    ReplyDelete