Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Green Chile Hominy Casserole with Chorizo


My MN/WI friends call casseroles hot dishes.  They love them up there.  Probably because it is below freezing 80% of the year.  The one casserole I have heard most about is a tater tot hot dish.  I have actually never even had it!  I haven't made many casseroles in my lifetime.  I am more of a non-casserole person.  

However, when I saw this casserole recently on Homesick Texan's awesome blog, I decided I could be a casserole convert.  For one night only.  

First, this casserole has hominy, chiles, and cilantro in it.  Three of my favorite ingredients ever!  And if you can believe it, they are even better together.  I first discovered my love of the hominy/cilantro combo in posole.  And who would of thought that cooked cilantro would be so good?

Now, add chorizo, cheese and sour cream.  All fat free ingredients.  Perfect!  

Also, this is a one pot wonder.


Green Chile Hominy Casserole with Chorizo

2 poblano chiles
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, removed from casing and crumbled
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 jalapeños, seeds and stems removed, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-ounce cans of hominy, drained
8 ounces sour cream
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste

Roast the poblano chiles under the broiler until blackened, about 5 minutes per side. Place chiles in a paper sack or plastic food-storage bag, close it tight and let the chile steam for 20 minutes. Take the chile out of the bag and rub off the skin. Remove stem and seeds and cut dice chiles.

Preheat the oven to 350.

On medium-low heat, heat the vegetable oil and then cook the crumbled chorizo while occasionally stirring in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet until brown, about 8-10 minutes. With a slotted spatula, remove the chorizo and drain any excess grease
from the skillet, leaving 1 teaspoon. Add to the skillet the diced onions and jalapeños while occasionally stirring, cook on medium-low heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.

Remove the skillet from the heat and add the diced poblano chile, chorizo, hominy, sour cream, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, lime juice and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir until well combined, taste and add salt and black pepper and adjust
seasonings. Top with remaining the cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbling.

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 1 hr., Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  10/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

2 comments:

  1. I love one pan dishes that are healthy! I live in Phoenix where casseroles aren't too common of a thing, but this one sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about using one pan too...casseroles do tend to be more popular in colder places, but now that we are in hot, hot Texas, I'm not in the mood for them as much. But this recipe might win me over too! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete