Monday, May 3, 2010

Asparagus Goat Cheese Pasta


I love when I see a recipe and I am like, "oooooh, that looks good....I have to make it."  And then I realize it has goat cheese in it.  And that anything with goat cheese in it looks good to me.  But, it gets me every time.

And I am about 80% sure that I have a real problem.  But instead, I am going to pretend that adding goat cheese to things is a secret trick.  

BTW, I REALLY wanted to add bacon to this pasta.  But I want to add bacon to everything.  So, I controlled myself and did not.  Next time, I am definitely adding bacon.  I don't care if it ruins the healthiness of this dish.  It would be so delicious.  Oh but, maybe omit the lemon if you add the bacon.  

The bottom line, and really the only thing that is somewhat helpful, is that this pasta is super easy, fresh, healthy and delicious.  And it only takes about a half an hour to make.  So, I am adding it to the quick and easy category.  



Asparagus-Goat Cheese Pasta

1 pound asparagus
1/2 pound (8 ounces) thin spaghetti (preferably whole grain)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth (or vegetable)
4 ounces goat cheese (preferably flavored with herbs or garlic)
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil over high heat. Peel the asparagus stalks, and trim the ends. Cut the stalks into 2-inch pieces. Blanch in the boiling water 3 minutes or until bright green. With a slotted spoon, remove the asparagus and rinse under cold water. Set aside.

Add the spaghetti to the boiling water, and cook according to the label directions. Drain.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Blend in the flour with a whisk. Add the broth, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Blend in the goat cheese and lemon peel.

Toss the spaghetti with the asparagus, sauce, and half the Parmesan. Serve with the remaining Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)

No comments:

Post a Comment