Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sautéed Shredded Zucchini and Twice-baked Potatoes


I decided to make twice baked potatoes because sprouts were growing on my potatoes (same reason for making oven fries on Sat.)  And I have also been wanting to try this sauteed shredded zucchini side from Annie's Eats.    Both were delicious.  


For the twice baked potato, I don't think I need to post a recipe?  /I am too lazy to write one.  But all I did was bake two potatoes until fork tender.  I like to coat them in olive oil and salt before baking so that the skin tastes good.  Then, I cut them in half the long ways (I just think it is easier than keep it whole) and scooped out the insides leaving enough to keep it sturdy.  Then, I mashed up the potato and added about:  1 tbsp sour cream, 1/4 c. shredded cheddar, 1 tbsp of butter, 1 cup chopped steamed broccoli, 1 chopped green onion, 3 pieces of bacon crumbled, salt and pepper.  Stuffed the halves.  Topped with a little more cheese.  Baked again until cheese is melted.  And then I broiled it for a few minutes to crisp the top.  Then, I served it topped sour cream and some chopped green onions.  


Sautéed Shredded Zucchini

5 medium zucchini (about 8 oz. each), ends trimmed
11/2 tsp. table salt
2 shallots, finely minced
1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1-2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper

Shred the zucchini with the shredding disk of a food processor or a large box grater. Toss the zucchini with the salt in a colander set over a medium bowl; let drain for 5-10 minutes. Wrap the shredded zucchini in a kitchen towel, in batches if necessary, and wring out the excess moisture.

Add the zucchini to a medium bowl and toss to break up any clumps. Add the minced shallots and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and toss to thoroughly combine.

Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini mixture to the pan and distribute in an even layer. Cook without stirring until the bottom layer browns, about 2 minutes. Stir well, breaking up
the clumps, and cook once more until the "new" bottom layer browns, about 2 minutes more. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

(Servings: 2-4, Prep time: 25 min., Cook time: 6-8 min., Difficulty: Easy)

1 comment:

  1. One of things I love about summer...fresh zucchini...this is a great recipe, and I look forward to using it in the next few weeks. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete