Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Salmon Ravioli with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce


Another great recipe from Cara's Cravings.  Cara has posted a few ravioli dishes that I have been wanting to try.  I love using wonton wrappers to make ravioli.  I made homemade pasta last summer with my little sister when she was visiting.  I had her cutting them and we laid them all on top of each other.  Of course, they all stuck together because I wasn't thinkin' straight.  And we were kind of able to save some and eat some stuck together pieces.  But...man, was I frustrated.  

Luckily, my sister is not a picky eater.  She is amazing.  She told me it was still delicious.  But even when she was little, she was a pretty adventurous eater.  I like to give myself the credit for forcing her to eat weird things.  I can do that (that is, give myself the credit) because I am 9 years older.  At many points in my life, I was pretty cool to her.  Not sure on the status of that currently.

What I am trying to get at...is I have been putting off making homemade ravioli because I am still mad at pasta dough.  Why do you stick together?  Why did you take me two hours to make and then ruin everything?!?!  So, using wonton wrappers makes me feel so so good.  

But really, it just makes everything easier.  I don't think I have ever ordered ravioli out.  I like it but I like a lot of other things a lot more.  So, I pretty much only have it at home when I want something different.  And those refrigerated raviolis in the deli?  Ew.  The dough is so thick.  And chewy.  And the fillings are worse.  Sorry Butoni.  Or whatever you are.  I hate you.  Seriously.  

Um, what was I talking about?  Oh yeah, so this is the perfect solution for a quick (er) ravioli.  And you can fill it something other than ricotta cheese.  Why am I being such a snot.  Not sure. 

But try this combo.  It is great.  And healthy!  I didn't exactly follow the recipe because I doubled it and was being lazy.  I used jarred roasted red peppers...again because I am lazy but also because right now they are cheaper than fresh.  If you cook them a bit with the rest of the sauce ingredients, you can't even tell.  I also just cooked the sauce in a sauce pan and used my immersion blender to puree.  And I never froze the ravs after assembling.  Mostly because I made the sauce first.  

I am tired.  Bye.


Salmon and Goat Cheese Ravioli with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

6 oz salmon fillet
1/2 of a lemon
salt and pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 oz goat cheese
4 oz wonton wrappers (for the brand I buy, from an Asian grocery store, this is about 20 wrappers)
2 medium red bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
dash of oregano, salt & pepper
1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350F. Squeeze lemon juice over salmon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.

Remove from oven and cool. Chop finely in food processor, and combine with garlic, parsley and goat cheese. Place 1 tsp of filling onto each wonton wrapper, wet edges with water, and press together to seal. Place in freezer while preparing sauce.

Preheat broiler to high. Spray peppers with cooking spray, place on a baking sheet, and cook under broiler for several minutes on each side, until all sides are charred. Remove from oven and place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap until
cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, saute onion in a small pan coated with cooking spray, over medium heat, for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, crushed red peppers, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute more. Remove skin and stems from peppers and place in blender along with onion mixture and broth; puree until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan to keep warm.

Cook ravioli in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. To serve, place a ladle of sauce on a plate, place ravioli on top, and drizzle with remaining sauce. Garnish with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, if desired.

(Servings: 2, Prep time: 45 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)

2 comments:

  1. Okay...I officially want you to come and cook dinner for me. Salmon ravioli? I'm drooling. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about this recipe, glad you tried it and reminded me :)

    I normally buy jarred peppers too - except when fresh are cheaper, then I have no excuse not to roast them myself. And I confess that I have no idea why I froze the ravioli before cooking them, I'm sure they turned out just fine without that step!

    ReplyDelete