Monday, May 17, 2010

New Mexican Green Chili Pizza


Back to my pizza stone.  I have been making Pioneer Woman style pizzas for the past couple of months.  I love her crust and the idea that it tastes better with time and is made on a baking sheet.  However, I also love pizza stone pizza.  Totally different texture.  Softer on the inside.  It is crispy on the outside, but in a different way from PW's crust.  Her crust has quite a bit more oil in it, which makes it thin and crispy.  The crust I used for this recipe is more traditional and the crispness on the outside comes from the stone rather than from the oil.  

I had the idea to do a New Mexican pizza because we were so lucky to receive authentic roasted, peeled and diced NM green chilies back in March.  Shipped to our door! Amazing!


This pizza was formed to spotlight NM green chilis.  In addition, I topped with frozen corn, thinly sliced red onion and crisp bacon pieces.  Then, to cut the heat from the chilis, I added little pieces of cream cheese and shredded Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar.  It was amazing.  Really, really enjoyed it.

The NM green chili really makes this pizza.  But, if you want to try it and can't get a hold of them, you could sub other green chilis or even some jalapenos.  I think you can easily get the same effect if you simply roast whatever peppers you choose yourself.  

I think it would also be great with sausage (chorizo!) instead of bacon.  


New Mexican Green Chili Pizza

1 pizza crust (I used 1/2 of this recipe)
2-3 tbsp of tomato/pizza sauce
1/2 - 1 cup New Mexican green chilis, roasted, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup of frozen corn
10 very thin slices of red onion
3-4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
2-3 tbsp of cream cheese
1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 tbsp olive oil

Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees F.

Roll/stretch out pizza dough on a pizza peel (or parchment paper) dusted with corn meal. Slide dough onto pizza stone in oven and cook for about 2 minutes. Precooking the crust makes it much easier to slide pizza into oven after toppings are on. Remove from oven using pizza peel.

Top pizza. First, coat with tomato sauce. Then, cover with green chilis. Top with corn, red onion slices, crumbled bacon and little bits of cream cheese. Cover everything with shredded Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar cheese. Brush crust with olive oil.

Slide pizza back onto pizza stone and cook for about 10 minutes or until cheese and crust are golden brown.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 12 min., Difficulty: Easy)

1 comment:

  1. You have done it again. I'm drooling. I love pizza, and I love this flavor combination. Green chiles are some of my favorite things...and I can only imagine how good they must taste on top of a pizza. Yum!

    ReplyDelete