Saturday, May 22, 2010

Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes


A while back, I posted a recipe for IHOP's country griddle cakes.  It is a yummy, corny flavored pancake.  Always been one of my favorites.  My other favorite IHOP pancake is the harvest grain and nut.  I worked there for a long time without trying it. At some point, my grandma told me that the HGN pancakes were her favorite.  My grandma had very good taste in food.  She was a grandma foodie.  And the best grandma ever.  So, I knew if she liked them, they had to be good.  I eventually tried them and they are!!!  

They are very dense, kind of crumbly.  They are nutty, but the nuts are chopped up really fine, so they don't add a ton of crunch (which I like...the non-crunch, that is).  They are good with just about anything, but my favorite is hot maple syrup or butter pecan syrup.  I have never been much of a fruit syrup lover, but I am sure that would be great too.

They are a little more difficult to make than a regular pancake.  I made them a few times when I worked at IHOP, but mostly I always watched the pancake guy make them because I stood right behind him.  So, a few good tips....When ladling the batter on, put a little on the griddle and tap your ladle onto the batter as you continue to pour.  It will help spread it out (and keep it circular).  It is thick batter so it doesn't spread out naturally like most pancake batters do.  Next, the pancakes need to cook on low heat slowly.  They brown quickly but take a while to cook through.  Unfortunately, you will not see those nice air bubbles around the edges.  You will have to flip when half the dough is still raw.  As opposed to buttermilk pancakes which cook mostly on one side and finish on the other.  These HGN guys cook equally on both sides.  Just check to see if they are a nice brown color.  Then, flip.  And to do it without being messy, you have to slide the spatula under quick and flip fast.  And do check to see if the insides are cooked on the first couple so you can get an idea.  

And remember, they are rather dry.  But not in a gross way.  In a crumbly way.  Kind of like cake.  You have to use the back of your fork to get all the crumbs.


Harvest Grain & Nut Pancakes
adapted from recipezaar

3/4 cup Quaker Oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup blanched almonds, can be heaping
1/4 cup walnuts, can be heaping

Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine, like flour. Remove oats from food processor and place in large mixing bowl. Add nuts to food processor. Pulse until finely chopped (or whatever your preference).

Preheat griddle or skillet to medium to medium low heat.

Add whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the bowl with the oat flour.

In another bowl combine buttermilk, oil, egg and sugar.

Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, add nuts and mix well.

Lightly butter a skillet or griddle. Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet and cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side or until brown.

(Servings: 3-4, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)

3 comments:

  1. those have always been my favorite pancakes!!! also the country griddle cakes...now I can make them at home!
    thanks so much for the recipes!
    cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I adore pancakes...my neighbor has been making them night after night, and the smell of maple syrup keeps drifting into my apartment. Now I have a recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm... I haven't been to IHOP all that many times but I can tell you that these are my favorite pancakes there!

    ReplyDelete