Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chili Chicken Tacos

When Scot went on the snowshoeing trip a week or so ago, I had him go grocery shopping for the food. I had him get tortillas for the trip. And he bought a pack of 36. For 3 people. That's fine. He just likes to give me a challenge every once in while. See if I can come up with enough dishes that will use up the spare 30 tortillas. I made Migas over the weekend. That used up 3. And, of course, a taco night would help too. Used up 9 (and I bet you will NEVER guess how those were distributed between the two of us).


I actually made this chicken taco meat over the weekend. It is the easiest thing EVER. And it is awesome! I decide how much I like recipes based on a delicious versus easy versus cheap scale. All you do is throw some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the crock pot (with a few other things), turn it on, and let it go. I had it on medium and let it cook for maybe 5 hours. It just falls apart, so easy to shred. I think you could get away with using bone-in chicken thighs too. I would take off the skin though. We used part of the bulk purchase of corn tortillas, but I definitely prefer flour tortillas for this combo. For toppings, we did the traditional American taco toppings: lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, colby jack cheese, and sour cream.



Chili Chicken Taco Meat

from The Urban Spork


2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs

4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa

1 to 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo

1 tablespoon chili powder

salt and ground pepper


In a slow cooker, combine chicken, garlic, salsa, chiles, chili powder, 1 teaspoon

salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cover, cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours

– stir occasionally.


Transfer the chicken to a serving bowl and shred, using two forks; moisten with

cooking juices. Serve in taco shells with desired toppings.


(Servings: 4, Prep time: 5 min., Cook time: 4-8 hrs., Difficulty: Easy)


Printable Version

No comments:

Post a Comment