Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Classic Penne Carbonara



We have carbonara all the time. I was looking through my Jamie Oliver cookbook and found his recipe for "Classic Penne Carbonara". It is much different from what I normally make. My usual pasta carbonara has the eggs and bacon, of course, but also red pepper flakes, garlic and some white wine. I wanted to try Jamie's because it was much simpler. And I loved his. It is so creamy and has such a clean taste. I love it just the way it is, but I think I might also like it with a little crushed red pepper flakes. Oh and maybe spaghetti would be great too. But, what could go wrong with eggs, bacon and pasta? I am going to leave you with that question. Bc that is what you are supposed to do in blogs. I forget. Usually.


Classic Penne Carbonara
from Happy Days with the Naked Chef, by Jamie Oliver

1 lb dried penne
8 slices of pancetta or bacon
olive oil
5 egg yolks
7 tbsp of heavy cream
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook the penne in salted boiling water until al dente (check the package for cooking time). While the pasta’s cooking, slowly fry the pancetta in a little oil until crispy. Break it up a bit, then put to one side. In a bowl, whip up the egg yolks, cream and half the Parmesan. When the pasta is cooked, drain it and immediately toss it with the warm, crispy pancetta and the egg mixture. A lot of carbonaras are overcooked and resemble a scrambled egg sauce – if you add the penne immediately the residual heat is enough to cook the eggs and for the sauce to stay smooth and silky. Season well, using plenty of freshly ground black pepper, and add extra Parmesan to taste. Serve straight away, with a big bowl of salad and nice bottle of red wine.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: Easy)

No comments:

Post a Comment