Monday, March 22, 2010

Green Salad with Craisins, Almonds and Goat Cheese with a Balsamic Vinaigrette




This was a request by the bride-to-be. A greeny salad with fruit, nuts, cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. One of my favorite combos. I usually do a blue cheese/walnut combo. I love the goat cheese/almond combo. Maybe more. I just am so obsessed with goat cheese.


Green Salad with Craisins, Almonds and Goat Cheese with a Balsamic Vinaigrette

Green leaf lettuce or spinach, 8 handfuls
Craisins, a handful
Shaved or slivered almonds, a handful
Goat cheese, broken into pieces, a handful
Balsamic vinaigrette, recipes follows

Combine lettuce, craisons, almonds and goat cheese. Toss with dressing just before serving

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 tsp Dijon mustard
a splash of soy sauce
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil

In the bottom of a big bowl, whisk together mustard, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Continue to whisk, and as slowly as possible, stream in olive oil. By doing so slowly, this will emulsify the oil and vinegar (and then it won’t separate).

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 0 , Difficulty: Easy)


Here you can see it still separates a little, but not bad. I could have gone slower. Whisked harder.

1 comment:

  1. The salad was awesome. The basalm recipie will be my first from the site...gonna try tonight! And craisons! So much better than the cranberries we've been eating...they're a bit tough. Shall I forgo the locavore for the mainstream?? The goat cheese was fab. I've been trying to have cheese-less salads every night but maybe I will reconsider.

    ReplyDelete