Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Turkey Stromboli


I went through a phase in approximately college, where I ate a whole lot of raw food/vegetables. I think it was a combo of it being cheap and easy. It was also the closest I ever got to being a vegetarian. My roommate used to call my dinners rabbit food. Then I met Scot, and I made him eat my rabbit food with me. For a while. Then, I started to feel bad. I made a conscious effort to make more meals for him that were more...cooked. And he was a growing boy, and needed more substantial stuff. Still is. Wonder when that will stop.


Every month or so, I divert back to my rabbit food days. I am not lying, I love raw vegetables. So, I often serve some cut up veggies as a side with various things. It is really perfect.


Now, back on track, these strombolis are delish. They are kind of a cross between a grilled turkey sandwich and a calzone. They don't have any sauce in them, so they really need a dipping sauce, like Ranch. Lucky I made some last night, huh?


The pizza dough recipe is from Pioneer Woman because I am making her favorite pizza this week and wanted to try her dough. She recommends making the dough in advance (at least one day, 3-4 is even better). I will let you know if it makes a diff for me.



Turkey Stromboli


Pizza dough (only need half of this recipe, which is from Pioneer Woman):

1 teaspoon Active Dry Or Instant Yeast

4 cups All-purpose Flour

1 teaspoon Kosher Salt

⅓ cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil


Filling:

1/4 lb of turkey deli meat

1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella

a small amount of thinly sliced red onions

1 tomato, sliced

some grated parmesan

drizzle of olive oil


To make pizza dough:

Sprinkle yeast over 1 1/2 cups warm (not lukewarm) water. In a mixer, combine flour and salt. With the mixer running on low speed (with paddle attachment), drizzle in olive oil until combined with flour. Next, pour in yeast/water mixture

and mix until just combined. Coat a separate mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil, and form the dough into a ball. Toss to coat dough in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you need it. ***It’s best to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance, and 3 or 4 days is even better.


To make Stromboli:

Preheat oven with pizza stone in it to 450° or higher.


Using half of the pizza dough recipe (or enough dough for about 1 pizza) cut into 3 equal pieces. Stretch/press out into a semi-rectangular piece. Lightly brush some olive oil on the rolled out dough. Place 1/3rd of turkey meat on bottom. Add thinly sliced onions, two slices of tomato and top with about 1/2 cup of cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Fold over the dough and seal edges (I left two edges open, but it is might spill out when you cook it).


Brush the top of the Stromboli with olive oil. Sprinkle with some parmesan

cheese. Repeat to assemble other two. Put in oven on pizza stone and bake for about 15 minutes.


Serve with Ranch dressing.


(Servings: 3, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


Printable Version



No comments:

Post a Comment