Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Pizza


We are on spring break this week. Usually, that doesn't mean much for us. This year no one gave me homework to do over break (evilest thing ever). It is a good time to take a break from research. Etc. Minus the sprain, I am loving it.


I decided to try out a few pizza combos that I have been eyeing. Last night, I made a BBQ Chicken pizza. I will post later. I am a little behind on blogs. Tonight, it was caramelized onion and prosciutto pizza. It definitely brought me back to the short times I have been in Europe and been surviving off of the American dollar. Pizza is so dependable. And this pizza dough is nice and thin and very similar to what I have had in Europe.



Scot and I spent some time in Switzerland a year or so ago. We also travelled around Europe a little while we were there. Switzerland is ridiculously expensive. We found a few places to get a slice of pizza, for maybe $5. And that $5 slice was pretty good. Until we went to Italy, where you can buy pizza by the pound...and it was AMAZING. And they had such good topping combos. And prosciutto is obviously a standard topping. It was always an option. Sometimes with olives, or artichokes, or by itself.


I really liked this salty ham with sweet onions. And the creamy fresh mozzarella. A few things...the brown sugar to caramelize the onions is really optional. Especially if you use a sweet onion. Red onions really aren't that sweet, but do sweeten up when you caramelize them. I was planning to use red onion, but my red onion was rotten! Hate it when that happens. So, I used a sweet yellow onion as backup. And I think it was probably better. Also, I think 500 degrees is too hot! It would be ok with a pizza stone, but I think 450 is good. But, if Pioneer Woman says 500, go ahead and try it for yourself! I tried it this time and think its too hot.



Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Pizza

by Pioneer Woman


1 whole Pizza Crust (1/2 this recipe)

Olive Oil, For Drizzling

1 whole Large Red Onion, Halved And Thinly Sliced

1/4 cups Brown Sugar

Kosher Salt To Taste

Parmesan Cheese, Grated

10 ounces, weight Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, Thinly Sliced

8 slices Prosciutto (more To Taste)


Preheat oven to 500 degrees.


Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions and brown sugar and toss/stir for several minutes, or until onions are brown and cooked. Set aside. Roll out pizza dough to a rectangular shape. Drizzle on olive oil, sprinkle on a little salt, followed by a little Parmesan.


Lay slices of mozzarella evenly over the top of the crust. Arrange caramelized onions over the top of the mozzarella. Randomly lay slices of prosciutto over the onions.


Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the lower half of the oven, or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and cut into squares. Serve immediately.


(Servings: 4, Prep time: 20 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: Easy)


Printable Version

1 comment:

  1. wow this looks delicous! carmelized onions are one of my favorite toppings to pair with something salty :)

    ReplyDelete