Friday, March 19, 2010

Reubens



When I was in college (some may say, Shanon, you are still basically in college), but anyways, my roommate would leave messages on our dorm voice mail for me. One in particular, I will never forget. See, after approximately my first year, I decided, I needed to start filing my documents. And I thought I was pretty cool. I mean, the fact that I even had documents. Anyways, I obviously couldn't have a filing cabinet since I moved every 5 months. Instead, I had a box. And it was a filing box. And I named it. "Shanon's Box of Important Things". Written in permanent marker on the top. Very visible.

This box had my passport, birth certificate, social security card, financial aid documents, etc. Important stuff. One day, I got home from class, saw the red flashing light on our dorm phone, got really excited because messages are what I live for (still) and then, of course, checked it immediately. "Hello Ms. Shanon. This is Sally from the office of administration." The woman was very administratively official, kind of nasally. It went on (and on, this message was about 10 minutes long), "I have a report here that your box, your box of important things has gone missing." My heart started racing and I began to look around the room to try and remember where I kept that box.

Then, the message starts to get weird. And not really make sense. The story keeps changing. And then, all of a sudden, I am in trouble for misplacing this box. Then, after seriously like 5 minutes, Sally ends the message by saying, "Please keep this in mind as you go throughout the day." What I was supposed to keep in mind, wasn't really clear. The point is, I seriously believed this message for several minutes and thought my box went missing and someone was reporting this to me. Turns out, this was just the one of many phone messages from my roommate. She's pretty good. Or I am pretty bad. Either way, I still have my box, now a file cabinet. And yes, that makes me feel even cooler.

This has nothing to do with Reubens. I have mentioned my extensive experience (6 months at IHOP) in cheffing up diner sandwiches. I thought I would share my procedure with you all. Honestly, I think I am pretty awesome at grilling sandwiches. Even though, I still burn them every once and a while.


Reubens

Rye bread
Butter
Swiss cheese
Corned beef
1000 Island dressing
Sauerkraut
A pickle

Preheat a griddle to medium heat. Butter one side of each piece of bread. Laybread, butter side down, on hot griddle. Put some slices of Swiss cheese on each piece of bread. Put corned beef directly on the griddle to warm it up. On one
piece of bread, put a little dressing and some sauerkraut. Once beef is warm (and even a little browned), stack it on top of the sauerkraut. Put the other slice of bread on top. Flip sandwich, as necessary, until it is nice and golden brown.

Serve with a pickle.

(Servings: ??, Prep time: 0-5 min., Cook time: 10 min., Difficulty: Easy)

No comments:

Post a Comment