Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Black Bean and Shrimp Quesadilla with Edamame Guacamole


I think I have made this three times.  Often times if there is shrimp in a dish, I consider it optional.  But here, the shrimp is omega necessary.  The quesadilla is a combo of black beans, shrimp and cheese in a whole wheat tortilla.

Normally I am a seafood-and-cheese-never-together snob.  But I think shrimp tastes great with cheese.

Normally I don't like whole wheat tortillas, but lately I have been obsessed with them.  I buy Maria and Ricardo's.  Maria and Ricardo have skills.

Normally when I make guacamole, I profess that is the best thing on this great earth.  Guac contributes to my happiness.  Adding some edamame makes it less of a condiment and gives me an excuse to eat more.  Cara's original recipe actually blends the edamame into the guacamole in the food processor, which I am sure delicious, but I wanted something easier so I just tossed it all together.  And it is wonderful.


I miss this dish already.  Give it a try.



Black Bean and Shrimp Quesadilla with Edamame Guacamole
adapted from Prevention RD

15-20 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
a pinch cayenne pepper
¼ tsp of paprika
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1-4 tsp of chipotle in adobo puree
8 whole wheat tortillas
¼ cup cream cheese
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
olive oil
salt and pepper
Edamame Guacamole, recipe follows

Season shrimp with salt, cayenne pepper and paprika.  In a non-stick skillet, heat some olive oil over medium high heat.  Cook shrimp for 1-2 minutes on each side until just opaque.  Remove from pan and set aside.  When cool enough to handle, slice each shrimp in half as you would to butterfly it, but slice all the way through. 

In the same skillet, heat a small amount of oil over medium high heat.  Add black beans, season with salt, pepper and chipotle in adobo puree, to taste.  Add several splashes of water (or chicken stock) and simmer beans until all the water has evaporated.  Taste and repeat process with water until desired texture is reached.  Remove beans from pan, set aside, and wipe out the skillet.

Build each quesadilla by smearing cream cheese on one side of the tortilla.  Spread some of the black bean mixture on top of that.  Layer the halved shrimp and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese.   Top with other tortilla and fry in a small amount of olive oil in the cleaned non-stick skillet.  Cut into wedges and serve with edamame guacamole. 

(Servings:  4, Prep time;  30 min., Cook time:  15 min., Difficulty:  Easy) 

Edamame Guacamole
adapted from Cara’s Cravings

1 cup frozen, shelled edamame

2 medium avocados

1 lime
salt

quarter of a small red onion, finely chopped

2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped

Place edamame in the microwave-safe bowl with a small amount of water and microwave for 5 minutes.  Remove and rinse with cold water until chilled.

Mash avocado with lime juice and salt.  Mix in the red onion, tomato, cilantro, and edamame. 


Printable Version


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  10/10
Scot (taste):  9/10
Effort: 2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment