Sunday, February 21, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup


This soup was really good! I would strongly recommend the goat cheese on top. It is tangy and creamy.

Also, I LOVE my immersion blender. It makes making soups and sauces so easy. I have used it a lot lately and wondered what I did without it?

Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup

1 head cauliflower (cut into florets)
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
3 cups vegetable broth
2 poblano chilli peppers (or any mild pepper)
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped, optional)
1 tablespoon goat cheese (crumbled, optional)

Using the broiler, blacken the skin of the peppers. Place in a brown bag (or in a bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap) for 10-15 minutes. Remove peppers from bag and peel of all the skin, remove seeds, guts and top. Slice into smaller pieces.

Toss the cauliflower florets in the olive oil with the salt and pepper. Arrange the cauliflower florets in a single layer in a baking dish. Roast the cauliflower in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.

Bring the broth, cauliflower and peppers to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 20 minutes. Puree with a hand blender. Mix in the heavy cream.

Serve garnished with goat cheese and cilantro or dukkah.

(Servings: 2, Prep time: 45 min, Cook time: 30 min, Difficulty: Intermediate)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome dish! I love cauliflower, and Mexican flavors, and goat cheese, but I think I've only ever combined them in groups of two, never all three together. Sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The goat cheese melting into this soup is so good! I am going to have to make it again soon.

    ReplyDelete