Wednesday, March 24, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza



I am a BBQ chicken pizza lover. And I think this is a great recipe. I used a nasty BBQ sauce, my only regret. When I say nasty, I don't really mean nasty. It was a honey BBQ sauce...way too sweet. I have used this BBQ sauce to make BBQ chicken on the grill, and I have never minded it. But, I think for pizza, I like a savory BBQ sauce.


I am digging Pioneer Woman's pizza recipes. I love her dough. I love that it is cooked on a baking sheet. I love that the dough is better when made a few days ahead of time. And I love the fresh mozzarella as the base. I think I might make a few of my own (because I have tried all of hers). See Eggplant Parmesan Pizza and Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Pizza.


I am going to do this pizza again with a better BBQ sauce. Soon.



BBQ Chicken Pizza

by Pioneer Woman


1 whole Recipe For Pizza Crust (1/2 this recipe)

2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

1/2 cups Barbecue Sauce

Olive Oil, For Drizzling

Salt For Sprinkling

16 ounces, weight Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced Thinly

1/2 whole Red Onion, Cut In Half And Sliced Very Thin

Chopped Cilantro, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Salt chicken breasts on both sides, then place in an ovenproof dish. Pour BBQ sauce over the breasts and turn them over to coat. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remove from oven and cut into a fine dice. Set aside. Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees.


Roll/stretch out one pizza crust. Lay it on a sheet pan drizzled with olive oil. Drizzle a little olive oil on the crust, then sprinkle on a little salt.


Spoon a couple of tablespoons of extra BBQ sauce on the crust and spread it evenly. Top sauce with half the sliced mozzarella. Sprinkle on half the diced chicken and thinly sliced red onion.


Sprinkle again with a little salt, then bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and toppings are bubbly.


Remove from the oven and sprinkle on plenty of chopped cilantro. Cut into squares and serve immediately. Repeat with other crust and other ingredients, or save for another time.


(Servings: 5-6, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: Easy)


Printable Version


I also made this asian slaw. No recipe, it is just a bunch of julienned veggies (I used: carrots, cabbage, bean sprouts, and cucumbers). Toss with cilantro and a dressing of rice vinegar, lime juice, sunflower oil, salt and pepper. I really just wanted to use up the cabbage from Corned Beef and Cabbage. I love an asian slaw.



2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing!!

    I'm glad you read Pioneer Woman too :) Did you hear they are making a movie about her with Reece Witherspoon!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! i am obsessed with her, her life and her blog. i have gotten bits and pieces of info about this movie and reece! it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete