Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dinner for Mom


My mom was in town last week to pick up my baby sister.  I wanted to make a nice dinner for her after her long drive here.  I also wanted it to be something that I could make without using ovens, stoves or even the grill.  Having guests over in the summer after you have been cooking up a storm is never a good plan.  Something I learned the hard way.


First, I made some shrimp ceviche.  If you don't know what a ceviche is: ceviche is fish/seafood/shrimp that is marinated in lemon juice (or any citrus).  In many cases, the citric acid actually "cooks" the fish and no heat is needed.  My mom is a lover of all things fully cooked.  Well done.  She eats her bacon black.  Therefore, I chose a recipe for shrimp ceviche, which called for cooked shrimp.  And I bought some of the good stuff from Whole Foods.  It is simply marinated in some lemon juice and then mixed with different herbs (I used cilantro) and fresh veggies (I used avocadoes and grape tomatoes).  My mom called it vacation food and it totally is.


Next, I made some little stuffed cucumber appetizers.  I found these White On Rice Couple blog.  These are fresh, refreshing summer side or appetizer.  They are cucumber slices, topped with prosciutto and a dollop of a sour cream, roasted pine nut and feta mixture.


And lastly, I made some mini croissant sandwiches filled with chicken salad.  Something I knew both my mom and sister would love.  I love mini things.  I also love any kind of "salad" sandwich.  And I don't care who knows it.  Egg salad, turkey salad, tuna salad, chicken salad.  I made mine using a rotisserie chicken.  Mixed in some chopped celery, mayo and some seasoning salt and lemon pepper (the seasonings were something I saw on Paula Dean's son's chicken salad recipe).

It was a nice and easy menu.  I would definitely recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I adore mini things too...and I'm sure your mom and sister loved each and every part of this meal. Although the recipe might seem easy, it is evident that it was made with love. I'm so glad you were able to share this together!

    ReplyDelete