Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homemade Oreos


Well, I have been a bad blogger lately, huh?  I love pretending like I am too busy to blog.  Makes me feel really cool.  

The truth is, yeah, actually, I am just too busy to blog.  Booyah.

Anyways, I love blogging.  And I made these Oreos kind of a long time ago.  Never posted them.  


I made these Oreos for mothers and friends.  Mailed them out in care packages.  First, these were not my favorite cookies of the bunch (these were).  Second, they were just about everyone else's favorite cookie.  Could it be that people got a kick out of "homemade Oreos"?  Or maybe it was because they were the only real chocolaty cookie out of the four I made?  Maybe they are just amazing?  Probs.

I have what I call a negative sweet tooth.  I have no idea why.  But I can't take it when desserts are too sweet.  So, for me, these were just a tad too sweet.  The chocolate wafer recipe calls for a range of sugar...I would suggest using the least amount. And, I would prefer that the filling had less vanilla in it.  I would suggest 1/2 tsp rather than 2 tsp.  I didn't change the recipe below because I am no dessert queen and everyone else really liked them.  But Scot agreed about the vanilla.  And I would call him the dessert king.  Or at least the chocolate king.  


Homemade Oreos
adapted from Retro Desserts, Wayne Brachman via smitten kitchen

For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375°F.

In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa,
baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the
butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes
together in a mass.

Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.

To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.

To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream. Dunk generously in a large glass of milk.

(Servings: 25-30 sandwich cookies, Prep time: 30 min, Cook time: 1 hr., Difficulty: Easy)

2 comments:

  1. I have made these too...and everyone loved them. I like them, but they weren't my favorite. I guess nostalgia plays a big part in the appeal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. I'd go for the oreos too. I love lemon, but the words "too sweet" do not exist in my vocabulary! Sometimes I wish they did!

    ReplyDelete