Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Butternut Squash and Chorizo Tostadas


I have made like 85 tostadas in the past 6 months. Which is a lot considering I had very few before then. I mean, who came up with that concept? And is it supposed to be impossible to eat? Should you pick it up and take a bite? Or are you supposed to be able to cut into it...because that is impossible.

I actually brought these leftovers to work. I packed the whole enchilada. Is that a saying? Does it mean like the whole package? Why? Enchiladas don't have that many components.

So, I packed the crunchy tortilla, the black bean mash, the roasted butternut squash, the sautéed chorizo AND the rest of the fixings: queso fresco, finely minced red onion and chopped cilantro. I packed them more or less separately and assembled on the desk. After I put together the "whole enchilada" I lifted up the tostada ready to take a huge bite and the secretary came in to deliver something. I literally had my mouth open and was milliseconds before biting down. Tostadas...not an office friendly meal. Not first date food. Not clean shirt food.

After some research, it appears tostadas were invented to use up stale tortillas. Alright. Whatever.

It may appear as though I don't like tostadas. But I actually really do. I just want to be alone when I am eating them.

PS: At some point over the past month I decided to cover the spot where I take my photos with a yellow and blue towel (e.g. in the above photo). It wasn't an artistic move. It didn't really have much thought behind it other than the fact that the current wood block is super ugly. I guess that is the definition of cosmetic. And now, a series of about 10 posts will have that towel in it. It is still there tonight. Consistent.

Butternut Squash and Chorizo Tostadas
slightly modified from Closet Cooking

4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound chorizo, casings removed, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
* water (optional)
12 small corn tortillas
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1/4 cup queso fresco (or feta), crumbled
1/4 cup cilantro

Toss the squash in the oil, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt, spread the mixture out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F oven until the squash tender and just starts to caramelize on the edges, about 30- 40 minutes.

Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chorizo, cook until browned, about 10 minutes and set aside retaining a tablespoon of leftover oil/grease in the pan.

Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the beans, chili powder and cumin and cook until warm. Mash the beans until you get them to the consistency that you want. It helps to add water and simmer until it evaporates.

Brush the tortillas lightly in oil and bake in a preheated 350°F oven until golden brown and crispy, about 3-5 minutes per side.

Spread the refried beans over the top of the tortillas, sprinkle on the roast squash, chorizo, red onion, queso fresco and cilantro.

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 1 hr., Difficulty: Easy)

Printable Version

foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste): 8/10
Scot (taste): 10/10
Effort: 3/5
Dishwashing Effort: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! Thanks for the comment on our blog! We are following you now!

    http://ohsoprettythediaries.com

    ReplyDelete