Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hard-Boiled Eggs Masala


Sorry.

I have been away.  But now I am back.  I have learned a lot.

1.   Most places need more electrical outlets.
2.  Copper has no reason to believe that he deserves anything less than the best.
3.  Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana take a really long time to drive through.
4.  Hotels think that putting crappy coffee + a crappy coffee maker in your room is an amenity.  Still.
5.  Wave 9 skiers aren't so good at (a) going down hills (b) going up hills (c) stopping (d) not crashing (e) skiing.  Myself included.
6.  People literally think the plane might take off without them.
7.  I got honked at three separate times when I was driving in State College.  Sorry Pennsylvanians!  I will work on my skills.

Remember how I told you how I was cooking non-stop Indian?  Well, I never posted any of the recipes.  Here is one!  I loved the idea of this hard-boiled masala.  And this was so delicious.


Hard-Boiled Eggs Masala
by Madhur Jaffrey

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
¾ teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper , to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon cumin seed
5 tablespoons onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger , finely chopped
1 cup canned tomato, chopped
¼ teaspoon sugar
3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into halves lengthwise

Combine turmeric, cayenne, ground cumin, coriander. lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl. Mix.  Put oil in medium-sized, nonstick pan and set over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, put in cumin seeds. 10 seconds later, add onion and ginger.  Stir and fry till onion turns medium brown.   Add spice paste.  Stir and cook for 15 seconds.   Add tomatoes and sugar and bring to a simmer.  Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.   Add cilantro and combine.  Lay the cut eggs into the sauce and spoon more sauce over them. Cover and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.

(Servings:  2-3, Prep time:  20 min., Cook time:  20 min., Difficulty:  Easy) 


Printable Version


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an interesting dish. My husband loves anything with eggs so I'm sure he'd be all over this. Hope we get to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete